PDA

View Full Version : More things to worry about

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 10:30
So I've been to my dr today for a follow up. I go to see her every so often so she can keep a track of me while I'm under stress as I don't take meds.
Anyway I was telling her about my shortness of breath and she thinks my asthma from childhood is coming back. I've for to have a peek flow meter to do the tests and go back in a month.
So that's worrying me for a start. Why would my asthma go away and now its back? She thinks it caused me to get the chest infection I had. All she said was 'don't worry its not going to kill you' as she could see I was a bit upset about it.
So she took my bp and she said it was low. I watched her write it down and it was 99/79! Worrying again especially as my pulse has been going low at 60.
Again she said this is very healthy at mid thirties in age.
I'm worried that there is a connection between my skipped beats and low blood pressure and pulse and maybe the ringing in my ears I keep getting too.
She was completely dismissive of my worrying saying people would be happy to have bp etc that low. But I feel washed out and tired all the time. Is there anything you can do to get your bp up a bit???

debs71
13-11-13, 14:51
Add more salt, drink more fluids. I'm afraid that is about all you can do about a low BP, Mummyanxious.

Your doctor is not concerned, nor should you be. A low blood pressure is FAR preferable to a high one, as is a low pulse. Your skipped beats I would imagine are anxiety caused, nothing to do with those things.

I'm 42 and also have low BP/pulse. I am grateful for this as I come from a family who run high BP's. I have fainted with a BP of 70/40 a few years ago and am still around, so you really have NOTHING to be concerned about with your BP/pulse.

I have asthma too, and it can alter and change with age. Again, not a worry. Mine was worse as a child, got better, then came back during my 20's, then got better again....just one of those things, but can be controlled nevertheless.

I am a bit suss about you doctor reckoning your SOB is about asthma coming back. Has she not considered it may be your anxiety?

As your doctor said, you should be glad actually about a low BP. It is only a pain as it is hard to do much about, bar the salt and water.:shrug:

Fishmanpa
13-11-13, 14:56
So I've been to my dr today for a follow up. I go to see her every so often so she can keep a track of me while I'm under stress as I don't take meds.
Anyway I was telling her about my shortness of breath and she thinks my asthma from childhood is coming back. I've for to have a peek flow meter to do the tests and go back in a month.
So that's worrying me for a start. Why would my asthma go away and now its back? She thinks it caused me to get the chest infection I had. All she said was 'don't worry its not going to kill you' as she could see I was a bit upset about it.
So she took my bp and she said it was low. I watched her write it down and it was 99/79! Worrying again especially as my pulse has been going low at 60.
Again she said this is very healthy at mid thirties in age.
I'm worried that there is a connection between my skipped beats and low blood pressure and pulse and maybe the ringing in my ears I keep getting too.
She was completely dismissive of my worrying saying people would be happy to have bp etc that low. But I feel washed out and tired all the time. Is there anything you can do to get your bp up a bit???

Lower BP and pulse is certainly much better than high BP and pulse fro sure! Your doc is absolutely correct in that it's very healthy for someone in their mid 30's and especially considering the stress of anxiety ;) The fatigue is most likely attributed to anxiety disorder.

katesa
13-11-13, 14:56
Great post debs.

Mummyanxious, how has you anxiety been lately hon? Are you getting any support with it?

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 15:45
My stress levels are fairly high at the moment due to personal circumstances beyond my control. Mainly why I worry about having low bp and pulse beings they are supposed to go up in times of stress....
I manage my general stress and anxiety well these days but I can never get past the skipped beats and reason why someone's bp would go down instead of up...

debs71
13-11-13, 15:54
My stress levels are fairly high at the moment due to personal circumstances beyond my control. Mainly why I worry about having low bp and pulse beings they are supposed to go up in times of stress....
I manage my general stress and anxiety well these days but I can never get past the skipped beats and reason why someone's bp would go down instead of up...

I TOTALLY understand your worry and confusion about that, mummyanxious.

That is something that really confuses me, big time. Like you, I can never understand why my BP is low when I have anxiety and panic, and also that time I fainted with the low BP was during an anxiety attack, and yet my BP was as low as it has ever been, if not lower.

I don't get it at all, but at the same time, low BP is still better than high, which is more of a concern.

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 15:58
Its when my pulse is slow that these skipped beats/extra beats creep in.

katesa
13-11-13, 16:30
The human body is a strange thing mummyanxious. You may just have a slow metabolism and that wont change even if you are stressed. I have an overactive thyroid so my pulse is usually very high. But when my medication is messed up and my thyroid goes UNDER active instead, it slows right down and my blood pressure drops.

Anyway, it sounds like your doctor has been very thorough hon and unfortunately, you may never find out the reason behind it. The important thing though, is that it is nothing serious. You have enough stress in your life so let this one go - it doesn't matter x

Barnabas75
13-11-13, 17:01
Yeah,probs nothing serious mummyanxious.My BP and pulse is around there.Thats supposed to be around the athlete level.So you see bouncing off the walls has some benefits...:flowers:

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 19:02
Thanks for your replies.
I know I'm very guilty of putting all my symptoms together and assuming they are all linked and creating a disease for myself.
What I was saying to the dr was, if I automatically get worried when they take my bp and its 99/79, just how low would it be if I were relaxed! I'm worried how low its plummeting to when I'm asleep! Same with my pulse.
I actually drink quite a bit of water already but ill up it a bit more to see if it helps. I am guilty of not eating much salt though, I don't like it so only eat what's in stuff already.
My blooming ears are ringing again now I've sat down. I hate all this. I want to get off this awful ride!

debs71
13-11-13, 19:10
Mummyanxious, I know it is hard, but you really have to try to see things rationally. Monitoring should only need doing because there is a diagnosed or assessed medical need, like in a GP surgery check or in hospital, or because you have a chronic condition that needs checking regularly at home. The trouble with HA is that when you get ONE reading that seems off kilt, you then fixate on the fact you are ill.....you're not.

If we all checked ourselves daily and every 2-4 hours, we would see our BP/pulse/whatever go up, down, stay the same, etc. etc. It means nothing to the most part, and certainly nothing when a trained doctor tells you!

Your worries are kind of futile worries and pointless worries, and involve a lot of 'what ifs?' What ifs are not worth worrying about, because they are not a reality, and until they are, why worry? When you are asleep, you don't know what your body is doing, so why fixate on that? You can't stay awake 'cos you fear what your body is doing, so what is the use in worrying about it?! x

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 19:13
Yes all makes sense :)

SarahH
13-11-13, 19:16
Hi,

I have very low BP and pulse and have done all my life....it can be a pain some times but I am told very healthy. The other day it was 89/ 59 at the Dr's surgery!!! But it is normally 90 something over 60 something. I do get dizzy if I stand up quickly but on the whole i feel lucky that it is low.
You dont need to up it by taking in salt and water...you are fine and healthly.:)

nomorepanic
13-11-13, 19:17
I don't think you need to add salt into the diet to increase the BP. It is fine as it is.

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 19:18
Does it make you tired at all Sarah? Do you get any other side effect? Maybe I am just putting all my things together but I'm sure I heard something once about ringing in your ears being about your bp

debs71
13-11-13, 19:22
Hmm.

I avoided salt like the plague for a long time after I read that we get more than enough in our diets through products with added salt already, but i disagree that a little added does not help or is not required.

My low BP has made me feel rotten at times. I have felt way better in terms of morning dizziness/feeling faint upon standing since I have added a little salt to my evening meal.

Could be coincidence, but works for me.

SarahH
13-11-13, 19:25
The ringing in your ears is because you are feeling faint/dizzy....you are also getting anxious about this which is contributing to your physical feelings. I have lived with low BP all my adult life ...my tiredness comes from my anxiety.
Please, please try to get this into perspective MummyAnxious.........YOU HAVE A HEALTHY PULSE AND BLOOD PRESSURE:D YOU ARE GOING TO BE OK!!

Barnabas75
13-11-13, 21:07
Hello again,
My Doc said it is atypical...something like that.I had panic attacks that led me to the ER and had perfect BP and pulse when checked as well as perfect ecg..go figure.

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 21:55
I get the ringing when I'm just sat still not feeling particularly dizzy or anything.

I forgot to pick up my peek flow reader today so need to get that tomorrow. Just concerned as to why this asthma has come back and how it is going to limit me.

debs71
13-11-13, 22:01
Did your doctor ask you to do peak flows at home then?

Did she hear a wheeze/listen to your chest/do a peak flow/saturation reading in the surgery, mummyanxious?

nomorepanic
13-11-13, 22:07
Debs - you are right about the salt but I guess a doc's advice is needed on how much:

increasing your fluid and salt intake

Dehydration (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dehydration/Pages/Introduction.aspx) can cause low blood pressure. This can be easily treated by increasing your fluid and salt intake. Ensuring you drink enough fluid will help by increasing the volume of your blood, which will increase your blood pressure.
If you have low blood pressure, you may benefit from having more salt in your diet. Your GP will be able to advise how much additional salt you need and whether you can add salt to your usual food or if you need to take salt tablets. Don't add extra salt to your diet without seeing your GP first

debs71
13-11-13, 22:13
Debs - you are right about the salt but I guess a doc's advice is needed on how much:

increasing your fluid and salt intake

Dehydration (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dehydration/Pages/Introduction.aspx) can cause low blood pressure. This can be easily treated by increasing your fluid and salt intake. Ensuring you drink enough fluid will help by increasing the volume of your blood, which will increase your blood pressure.
If you have low blood pressure, you may benefit from having more salt in your diet. Your GP will be able to advise how much additional salt you need and whether you can add salt to your usual food or if you need to take salt tablets. Don't add extra salt to your diet without seeing your GP first

Yep, I agree Nic. Hope I didn't sound too stroppy about the salt thing, lol.

I used to add salt to everything, then found when I got out of the habit, I didn't really miss it, so now I only add a titchy bit to my vegetables or chips, etc. once a day, to the evening meal.

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 22:25
No she didn't do a peak flow there. She did listen to my chest but didn't really say much. I've got to do it three times a day.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

I'm not sure how salt would help me tbh as I've never added salt to anything and its only just lately my blood pressure has been low. But it seems to be getting lower instead of staying at a certain level. She says she'd take it again when I go back in a month with my perk flow readings.

debs71
13-11-13, 22:31
Weird.

Asking someone to do peak flows at home, but not doing one there and then as a comparison/to see a deficit in a normal peak flow reading??

Doesn't make sense to me, but there you go.

I hope you feel better soon.x

nomorepanic
13-11-13, 22:35
Debs - I was thinking I am sure they won't suggest more salt cos of the other health risks of too much salt but then looked into it and realised you were right so I apologise for questioning it.

I agree that not doing the peak flow when she can see you are doing it properly but asking you do it at home seems odd to me

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 22:38
I have no idea what it is? Is it blowing into one of those tubes?
My oxygen levels were excellent anyway so that's one positive! 99%

debs71
13-11-13, 22:38
No probs at all Nic! x

Yes, it just doesn't sound right to me. Usually, the GP would do a peak flow reading in the surgery, especially when she is deeming Mummy's probs as asthma. It would indicate whether she has a low peak flow reading, and also serve as a touchstone as to how she has improved/stayed the same/got worse after the other three.

I just wonder on what basis she deemed this as exacerbation/resurgence of asthma?

Just saw your post, Mummy! - Yep, the peak flow is blowing into the tube, the saturation is oxygen in your blood - 99%........that makes it even weirder that she thinks it's your asthma, but maybe she has her reasons..

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 22:47
Maybe she based it on my explanation of shortness of breath and as it got worse after having the chest infection and I have a history of childhood asthma. No idea. Tbh I wasn't very reassured, hence posting about it. I don't feel wheezy but I do have an occasional cough. I wasn't massively sob during the chest infection, its come on afterwards.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

I have to go back in four weeks after taking my peak flow three times a day.
I don't want to be getting blooming obsessed with the peak flow meter now. I have no idea what a normal range is either!

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

I'm sure all will become clear when I pick it up

mummyanxious
14-11-13, 10:12
If you would care to elaborate on your comment?

mummyanxious
14-11-13, 19:55
So I have picked up my peak flow meter. Any ideas what is considered normal for someone in their mid thirties?

Fishmanpa
14-11-13, 20:02
MummyA,

You might be better off just using it as directed and making notes like your doctor told you. This way you won't be stressing about the numbers and what they mean :)

Positive thoughts

mummyanxious
14-11-13, 20:22
Just done a reading and found a range chart online. I seem to fall into normal range. So we'll see what happens.
I'm so fed up atm, I just want a day of feeling good.
I just seem to go day to day feeling well below par :(