PDA

View Full Version : Please share your coping skills for PVC's!

LishMay
02-10-13, 23:57
Hello, I'm a new member here, long time lurker. This forum has given me so much comfort over the years, knowing I'm not the only one who is frightened by palpitations so severely. I have panic disorder, depression, and have had PVC's for over 10 years. Recently I've been having PAC's also. My therapist gave me an assignment- reach out to people and get support, and try to interact with other palp sufferers. As often as I read a comment from a scared and panicked person, I read others who seem to have, to some degree, accepted them. They have found ways of not letting it debilitate them. I would love to connect with anyone, but especially those who have palps and have managed to "overcome the panic" that usually accompanies them. Whenever I read someone say something like " I've had PVC's for years, they used to bother me but I'm not afraid anymore. Don't let them control you!", I feel enormous envy and curiosity. I understand everyone is wired differently, and there are many factors (meds, therapy, history, etc.) that could influence this. But if anyone cares to share their turning point, helpful tip, inspiring story, it would be greatly appreciated.

janzenz
03-10-13, 01:55
hi... I have posted many a time re ectopics etc... mine have changed over the years... come and gone in cycles and been terribly frightening and just plain annoying... for me its the instant awful rush sensation through my body that really bugs me... that's the anxiety... I have had numerous checks and tests and still get at least a tad anxious... I to envy people that can just totally accept and ignore the damned things! but the worst thing is the change in mood when you have them... you just don't feel like yourself... well, I don't! hope your day going well...

LishMay
03-10-13, 04:20
I agree, as soon as one hits, I can instantly go from reasonably calm to a total mess. I've gotten good at holding it together in front of others, but I also spend a lot of time alone, and have a pretty small comfort zone. They ruin my day instantly. I'm filled with fear, then go thru the process of the positive self talk, breathing, etc. If I'm lucky they stop, but I continue to dread and anticipate their return, despite my massive mental efforts to let them go. It's awful!!! Best of days to you also:)

janzenz
03-10-13, 09:34
So, Lish May... What can we do!!! I listen to CBT stuff and Claire weekes whom i find amazing considerinbg in her time so little was known about or spoken about when it cam eto as she termed it 'nervous suffering'... I hate when i get them when i am excersining!!! Even though had them when did my stress echo and cardio didnt give a shit!!! Sorry for being blunt!!! ANyhow, saw you are in USA... Where abouts??? Maybe PM me if you dont want all and sundry to know... I do know that i no longer turn into a total mess but i do close in on myself so can totally relate to your feeling as though your comfort zone has shrunk and your life in general... Hoppe to chat agian soon...Please ignore spelling mistakes... Spell check not working!!!

AuntieMoosie
03-10-13, 19:22
Many, many people get ectopic beats, in fact it's so common that it's really normal unless, of course, there are other symptoms too :)

If you start to get anxious and panicky when you get these beats, it will usually make you get even more and fasten your heart rate, which will then frighten you more and round and round the merry-go-round we go :)

Try to reassure yourself that you'll be just fine, these are normal, they are not going to hurt you and let them, and any panic that you feel, just ride over you, accept it, don't fight it and you will calm down and will be perfectly alright :yesyes:

Anxiety is such a pig to try and deal with, we often find ourselves going round and round in circles with it, but if we can manage to break that circle, things get a whole lot easier to deal with :hugs:

Buj
08-10-13, 19:28
Thank you Moosie, I really enjoyed reading what you have to say....Ive been an anxiety sufferer for nearly 20 years and it comes in cycles like lots of people say. The current cycle I am in is like a lock down - where for days now my body has been in semi cramp and my heart has lost its rhythm - presumably dealing with an adrenalin trickle going through all the time. But I know ? hope I will get through it without a heart attack. The heart is am amazingly strong thing I think.

AuntieMoosie
08-10-13, 22:06
You will get through it without a heart attack :)

If we think about it rationally, when we're in panic or highly anxious, our heart beats stronger and faster, the heart is indeed a very strong muscle and muscles love exercise, so really it's just like a bit of cardiac exercise that we get when our hears start pumping hard and fast, much like when we jog or something :)

We would be much more at risk of a heart attack if we were never to exercise our hearts, even people who have had a heart attack are actively encouraged to do cardiac exercises. My Mum, even following triple heart bypass surgery, was encouraged to do some cardiac exercise.

Therefore, I would very, very much doubt that we'd ever suffer a heart attack through having a panic attack :)

Eyji1
13-10-13, 00:47
You will get through it without a heart attack :)

If we think about it rationally, when we're in panic or highly anxious, our heart beats stronger and faster, the heart is indeed a very strong muscle and muscles love exercise, so really it's just like a bit of cardiac exercise that we get when our hears start pumping hard and fast, much like when we jog or something :)

We would be much more at risk of a heart attack if we were never to exercise our hearts, even people who have had a heart attack are actively encouraged to do cardiac exercises. My Mum, even following triple heart bypass surgery, was encouraged to do some cardiac exercise.

Therefore, I would very, very much doubt that we'd ever suffer a heart attack through having a panic attack :)

Thank you for this comment :)