PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who has taken Sudafed experienced these?

JCRyanDenton
26-08-13, 15:43
While this is related to my heart palpitations at night, this is more of a question regarding sudafed.

If any of you has taken sudafed, did you experience any side effects or new symptoms after taking it? I am trying to get to the bottom of what was causing my restlessness at night with the palpitations. From what i read regarding sudafed it is know to cause those kinds of symptoms.

Pipkin
26-08-13, 17:04
Hi there,

I believe that sudafed contains pseudoephedrine (hence the name) which acts as a stimulant in a similar way to caffeine. I'm pretty sure that it could cause agitation and palpitations so it might go some way to explaining your symptoms. What are you taking them for? If it's as a decongestant, I would speak to your pharmacist about something more suitable, perhaps a eucalyptus-based nasal spray?

Of course, your symptoms might just be anxiety related though sudafed probably won't help.

Pip

JCRyanDenton
26-08-13, 17:08
Hi there,

I believe that sudafed contains pseudoephedrine (hence the name) which acts as a stimulant in a similar way to caffeine. I'm pretty sure that it could cause agitation and palpitations so it might go some way to explaining your symptoms. What are you taking them for? If it's as a decongestant, I would speak to your pharmacist about something more suitable, perhaps a eucalyptus-based nasal spray?

Of course, your symptoms might just be anxiety related though sudafed probably won't help.

Pip

Think its elevated the anxiety quite a bit. Didn't take any today and i feel slightly better...and won't ever again tbh.

Pipkin
26-08-13, 17:14
Best to avoid stimulants where possible unless the benefits outway the risks. Caffeine's the main culprit which some people with anxiety overlook. It's not just in tea and coffee, it's in quite a few cold and flu remedies which can easily catch us out, not to mention some energy drinks which are a real no-no.

Pip

Speranza
26-08-13, 17:16
I've had palpitations with it before. I tend to avoid it now.

JCRyanDenton
26-08-13, 17:23
It also gave me nightmares, or in better words dreams that bothered me immensely to the point they gave me anxiety despite not even being plausible dreams.

Also, i can't stop moving my legs, tapping them against the walls and so forth. Its like i have so much energy right now.