PDA

View Full Version : Green on ham-really worrying

rubynoodles
31-05-13, 10:24
Yesterday I bought a packet of ham which is well within date (think bb is 4th june).

It had three slices in it. For lunch I made a sandwich with one slice and gave to my children (which they didnt eat as they has already had something else). I then ate another slice on crackers.

Later in the afternoon I ate half of the remainding slice.

This morning, I went to eat the other half and when I lifted it from the packet the underneath has a small mark on it which is a green/grey colour.

Now I am beside myself that it has turned mouldy and we are going to get bad e-coli or something awful.

I have tried googling green ham but cant really find anything.

How long would it take for food poisoning to show up? should I ring nhs direct or something-I am so worried.

hheavenlyangel
31-05-13, 10:51
Try calling the manufacturer, it could just be some dye or something. You can usually tell Ham is off because it becomes slimey and it would definately have an unpleasant odour. So again, if you're really worried call the manufacturer - they would know.

cassy1989
31-05-13, 10:58
Hello Ruby,

Please do not worry! I know exactly the mark you are on about and ham often has it on there. I have eaten ham many times with it on there, I don't even know what it is lol but it's nothing harmful, honestly.
If the ham was off it would have tasted awful, smelt awful, etc xx

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

http://www.optics.rochester.edu/workgroups/cml/opt307/spr11/xi/ Here we go :-D xx

rubynoodles
31-05-13, 11:21
Thanks both of you i am such a worrier!

My mum says to take it back to the shop. It smells ok and the green isnt all over the slice its about the size of your thumb nail.

cassy1989
31-05-13, 11:31
Did you see my link Ruby? I wouldn't take it back to the shop to be honest because it is a completely normal thing xxx

rubynoodles
01-06-13, 18:37
Thanks cassie - My MIL came round yesterday and she used to work in a butchers, she said the same as your link that its muscle.