PDA

View Full Version : Minimum length/max to reduce discontinuation

Spikie
01-11-12, 09:10
Hi all

I'm struggling. But I live in hope this is just a (quite long) blip rather than a relapse.

The Dr has given me more Citalopram, plus I have 10 tablets from last time. I don't want to take them, I really don't, but if things don't improve...

So, is six months still the minimum for benefit, and is there a direct relationship between time on them and discontinuation length/severity? Last time was... 18 months on and about a month of discontinuation discomfort, culminating in 2 days off work from being unable to get up from feeling dizzy, sick and depressed (yay...). I'm thinking I have 6 months on, then come off if I'm feeling ok, on the assumption (hope) that this is just a long blip. Plus it will let me get my head together.

Thanks all

Stormsky
01-11-12, 09:18
Im not a fan of meds...have you tried lifestyle changes, diet and exercise?

Spikie
01-11-12, 09:51
Im not a fan of meds...have you tried lifestyle changes, diet and exercise?

Yes, I run 4 miles every day, I eat a balanced diet, I don't have caffeine or sugar in drinks or foods (above what can't be avoided). I feel great for an hour after I run, then I'm back to 'what's the point, I'd be better of dead' etc...

Sparkle1984
02-11-12, 20:33
Yes I think you're doing the right thing if you can't cope. If the lifestyle changes aren't helping you, then it does sound like your anxiety/depression could be caused by a chemical imbalance.