PDA

View Full Version : Got a presentation...eeek

jonny582
30-10-12, 20:02
Hi,

I use to suffer from social anxiety terribly, i couldn't leave the house, lost my job etc. I am much better now and have a a really good job, unfortunately it involves presentations, i have just about managed but my anxiety has reared its head a bit again, and i have 3 to 4 presentations coming up and i am worried i will run out out of the room due to an attack. Does anybody have any tips?

cheers

Jonny

Sparkle1984
30-10-12, 21:47
I hate giving presentations (mainly because I get scared that I'll stutter or stumble over my words), but I think I've got more confident over the years. I've been through college, university and work and there have been several times where I've had to do presentations.

Is it a Powerpoint presentation or is one where you just stand up on your own and speak? If it's a Powerpoint presentation, I use the slides to guide me through the speech, if not then I make some small notecards and put bulletpoints for what I want to say. I always make sure I rehearse the presentation at least twice, so I get used to the structure and flow of it, and I try and memorise as many of the words as possible so that I don't have to refer to my notes too much.

When I finish giving a presentation, I usually find that it's gone better than I thought it would. The most important thing is to be well prepared.

Good luck with it! :smile:

Tyke
01-11-12, 04:17
Hi Jonny

As Sparkle says. the key here is to be well prepared so that you feel as confident as you can about what you are going to deliver. Are you doing it in the same room or do you travel to somewhere different? If you can go in there beforehand and try out any equipment, especially if you are using IT technology it will make you feel more comfortable about it. You can visualise yourself beforehand and get used to where you will stand and where the audience will be seated.

If using powerpoint, don't use too many slides and don't crowd too much information on to each one.

Good luck
Tyke :)