PDA

View Full Version : Hi! New to No More Panic, Questions

JVG
23-10-12, 17:11
First, I just want to say that this website has been incredibly helpful for me! :) I truly am grateful to read all of your stories and am sorry that all of you struggle like this. I wanted some opinions on my situation:

My panic felt like it was building up for quite some time. Looking back, I seriously drank too much coffee with an already anxious personality. I became obsessed about my heart health (despite being a trained athlete that would barely get winded during a workout) and, months later, had incessant palpitations (they seemed normal but I literally felt every beat; possibly related to my PMS problems). My frustration increased and I went to the ER having a panic attack for hours, crying hysterically (probably worst day of my life). I got the standard tests, everything OK. Months later, my anxiety came back and I took to google (second mistake). I began hyperventilating before I even knew what I was reading about. The next day, I had horrible chest pains; it turns out that I have costochondritis. Repeated visits with my doctor have assured me that my heart/lungs are OK and no further testing is necessary. However, I could not stop the anxiety cycle once it started.

Almost a year later, I am slowly understanding my symptoms but cannot seem to calm down my level of arousal. I have constant symptoms, throat and chest tightness, overbreathing, weird (almost painful) chest sensations/movement, ear problems, occasional palpitations and dizziness, burning sensations etc... Deep down, I know that my anxiety has created these symptoms. However, they can be so bizarre that I cannot fully convince myself to calm down and begin recovery.

Suggestions?

Annie0904
23-10-12, 17:18
Hi :welcome: I hope you can find lots of help and support here. :)Are you taking any medication for anxiety or have had any counselling?

JVG
23-10-12, 17:19
I don't like to take medications, I did it in the past and it felt terrible. I will occasionally go to counseling and it has helped me stop the panic, just not the anxiety or the symptoms.

Thanks for your reply :D