PDA

View Full Version : Lexipro

troubife
30-04-12, 02:58
Does anyone have experience with Lexipro for anxiety?

grotbags
30-04-12, 19:37
Yes, I've used Escitalopram here in the uk, which I think is exactly the same as Lexapro. I found it to be very helpful, although side effects ended up forcing me off it. What I noticed about it is that it took two months to see the full effects. I almost gave up but I'm glad I stuck with it. I could tolerate no more than 7.5mg due to side effects - the main ones being tiredness, sleep paralysis, tummy upset, crazy dreams and randomly falling asleep during the day. But the side effects were so extreme that I wrote a list and it filled an A4 page of paper.

HOWEVER

It really did work rather well. It didn't take away 100% of my anxiety and depression (if it had have done I would have tolerated the side effects), but it helped a lot - especially where mood levels and motivation were concerned. I still had occasional minor panic attacks if I tackled ingrained phobias, but my mood was so good that they didn't deter me and I ended up making fantastic progress where my agoraphobia was concerned.

I was worried about weight gain but I was lucky enough to not experience this side effects. I took it for less than a year in total. It was pretty difficult to withdraw from, but manageable.

I suppose my advice would be to start off with a low dose. I was still getting depression on 10mg but once I cut it down to 7.5 I didn't get the depression anymore. So a small dose seemed to suit me, although I am highly sensitive to medication in general.