PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and period pain killers - mefenamic acid/ponstan

sunflower1
06-02-12, 20:38
Hi,
I've been taking citalopram a few months (now on 30mg) and have heard mixed responses about using painkillers with them.

I take mefenamic acid (also called ponstan/ponstal) for bad period pain. It is a NSAID type painkiller (like ibuprofen) which I think you're supposed to avoid. I've not used it with the citalopram as yet - just suffered :weep: I had really bad side effects when I started on citalopram and so am scared to take anything else with it in case it all goes wrong again.

Does anyone take mefenamic acid/know if it's ok to take them? Got any horror/success stories?

oneofus
06-02-12, 22:05
NSAID can cause stomach bleeding. I had to take aspirin for a while and my doc gave me medication in tablet form to protect the stomach lining, so you should be able to ask for something similar. Iirc it begins with Me.

One of us

sunflower1
17-02-12, 20:06
Thanks. I'm not due back at the doctors for a while, but I'll mention that when I'm there next.
If I need to avoid all NSAIDs, does that mean it's only paracetamol that can be used for painkillers? I can see myself scrutinizing all cold remedies etc from now on!