PDA

View Full Version : Really dark stools - can rich chocolate cake cause this?

Onthepulse
19-10-11, 08:08
I have had really dark stools for the last 2 days and it's got me a little worried!!!
I have had a slice of rich chocolate cake (Betty Crocker sp?) with her chocolate frosting over the last 3 days and thought that this could have made my stools very dark. When i wipe, it lighter...sorry for being so graphic!
Some of my family members have had it too and i asked them about their stool colour and they said it's fine. They thought i was nuts! :yesyes:
I do have IBS which is intermittent with stress but not too bad at the moment and i get those dreaded missed heartbeats - which i've had for a few weeks now!!!!
I feel i am a worry bug right now because some of my work colleagues have been diagnosed with different cancers and my dad is having tests done, so this has put my body/mind on "high allert".
I know i am being silly, but still need a little reassurance.

OTP

hazy
19-10-11, 09:18
Have you been taking any ant-acid's as they often do this I know that Pepto Bismol does this and it only shows up a couple of days after taking it. I am sure its nothing but if you find after a week it never changes colour from black then go to the doctors xx

Onthepulse
19-10-11, 09:23
I took some Rennie a few weeks ago as i was having some acid reflux, but i'm sure that'd be out by now :D
Will keep an eye on it and hopefully it returns to normal(ish) soon.
That's why i thought it was the chocolate cake because it's probably the first time i've had this and it's full of colouring and additives.

Thanks for the reply.

rosebud
19-10-11, 10:37
I had the same problem after eating chocolate cake. it also had glitter icing and my stools came out sparkling lol. i wouldn't worry.

Tracey x

Onthepulse
19-10-11, 10:47
Thanks Tracey for your reply :D Sparkly stools:blush:

I think i am over analyzing everything at the moment. What scares me the most, is that i haven't felt this bad anxiety in a very long time and my anxiety stretches over 13 years :weep:

Oh well, it's Salmon, new pots and lots of veg tonight, so hopefully i'll see a change in colour and stop worrying myself silly.xx

selphie
19-10-11, 16:09
hi
if you have really dark coloured stools its usaully after something you have eaten.
do you take iron pills??
coz eating something with a lot of iron in it does it.
greens, spinach, liver,red meat they all can make it real dark

the only time you should worry is if there black tarry stoolsxxx:)

AllInMyHead
19-10-11, 17:29
Try eating lots of beetroot. I discovered that's a great way to scare yourself silly :D

selphie
19-10-11, 18:15
hi allinmyhead
i know what you mean about the beetroot i had beetroot not so long ago and it turned my poo compleatly dark red i nearly had heart attack and since then i wont eat it anymore.
when i go to my mum and dads for dinner and we have salad i tell her not to put it on my plate.
they say to me your compleatly mad lol.
i know its what makes it that colour but i still wont eat itx:doh:

Onthepulse
19-10-11, 19:27
I had an incident with Blueberries once. Had overdone it on them and my stools went green!
I was a little scared, but mother-in-law asked if i'd consumed then and she told me that was the reason.

selphie
19-10-11, 20:13
onthepulse.
my son came in a while ago and said that his poo had turned green i asked him had he eaten anything that could have changed it he said no he had it a couple of times since then but we havent found the causex:)