Thread: Brain MRI

Brain MRI

Hi all, I have to get a brain MRI done next Monday.
    I'm not worried about the results of the scan. It's to rule some stuff out, but I'm not worried it will actually show anything.
    I'm worried about the test itself. I'm very claustrophobic. I'm also a generally restless person. It takes me ages to settle down at night before I go to sleep. I'm constantly moving my legs around to get comfortable, so I'm worried I'm going to ruin the test by not being able to lie still.
    I do have Xanax on prescription which I'm planning to take before the test to at least take away most of my anxiety around it.
    But if anyone here has experience with it, how long are you generally in the tube for and how still do your legs have to be when you're getting imaging done of your head? As long as I can move them a little bit without moving my head, would that be alright? Or do they have to be perfectly still?

Re: Brain MRI

I haven't had one but know people that have.
    You might not know but you can choose some music to listen to which helps to calm you x

I could never have a MRI scan - they put me in and out 3 times and gave up. It was like being in a coffin to be honest.

Way too scary for me.

If you are claustrophobic then i really don't think you will cope - sorry!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Tbh, I couldn't either.

Ive had one (or two!!) and i didn’t find it too bad. You aren’t actually trapped- you could wriggle out if you totally needed (so i told myself!) And its light not dark, which helps reduced the enclosed feeling. I just closed my eyes and tried to relax. I don’t think your legs need to be totally still, just your head. Maybe you could take some diazepam to relax you?

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I could never have a MRI scan - they put me in and out 3 times and gave up. It was like being in a coffin to be honest.

Way too scary for me.

If you are claustrophobic then i really don't think you will cope - sorry!
    OMG, not even with something to relax you like a Xanax?
    I'm counting on that to relax me enough that i can get it done

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Ive had one (or two!!) and i didn’t find it too bad. You aren’t actually trapped- you could wriggle out if you totally needed (so i told myself!) And its light not dark, which helps reduced the enclosed feeling. I just closed my eyes and tried to relax. I don’t think your legs need to be totally still, just your head. Maybe you could take some diazepam to relax you?
    Thanks! Yeah I'm taking some Xanax beforehand.
    I'm wondering if I can wear a sleep mask. That way if the temptation to open my eyes becomes too big, I at least can't see I'm stuck in a tube

I’ve always found MRIs to be fairly peaceful, but I know I’m in the minority lol.

My mom had one and was really nervous, they let her put a cloth or something over her eyes and she said she was fine after that. I’d definitely ask, I’m sure they are used to people struggling with it.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    OMG, not even with something to relax you like a Xanax?
    I'm counting on that to relax me enough that i can get it done
    It was never offered to me

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Oh, interesting! I have it on prescription anyway but I cleared it with the hospital.
    I did hear from a colleague who got an MRI recently, that she asked her GP for some. So I think you always have to get them from your GP, I don't think the hospital gives them out

Thread Information